Friday, September 26, 2014

GOLDEN MORN

Like an enemy trying to overthrow a fortified wall,
The light pushed against my closed eyes.
I could almost feel my pupils constricting… shuddering at that golden force.
My face felt pleasantly warm and I assumed those were the sunrays washing over me.
I let out a silent scream; a yawn, betraying my fatigue which was ironical since I had been in bed all night.
I finally opened my eyes and just like in fairy tales, a little white bed sat on my window sill chirping away a tune I had never heard before.
The leaves on the branch just outside my window were clothed with the morning dew that escaped to the ground below in steady drops.
Termites that would have had me disgusted suddenly looked regal as they marched in a train up the tree, carrying bits of what I couldn’t really make out.
A moth flew by and I could almost swear I saw specks of color.
“Now my head’s really messing with me” I thought as I snapped out of my daydream.
I soon relaxed again after I remembered that today was a holiday.
The churning of copiers;
The absent-minded flight of papers;
The groans that accompanied the stretching of tired workers;
The sound of the pen tip on a desk as my boss asked me silly questions to which he already had answers;
All that would not interrupt the serenity that came with this beautiful day.

I looked outside again and began to watch as the rays from the rising sun turned the surfaces of cars into mirrors.
The cars that sped by carried a blur of reflections that intrigued me.
I wondered why I had never noticed all of this before.
My eyes caught a cloud shift and just as I looked up at it, carefully avoiding the sun itself that was gathering strength with each passing second,
I felt a brush on my back.
“Are you alright” my wife asked
Her voice was low and throaty. It sounded like a groan only it was sweeter.
I looked back at her.
She sat up halfway with her elbow anchored on the soft mattress as it gave her upper body some support.
She wasn’t insanely beautiful but she drove me insane anyway.
Her extremely full afro looked like a halo with jagged pieces hovering over her head.
Her dark skin glowed and her bare lips stayed slightly parted as she stared at me with what I can only imagine, was worry.
How couldn’t I be alright?
I was falling in love again, just like I did every morning. I could never look at her and not fall in love over again.
I caught her hand as she reached for my face, kissed her palm and drew her close.
She sat still, her body perfectly curled into mine like the right piece of a jigsaw puzzle.

It was different. This morning was different.
On every other day, I fell in love with Muna but it was as though the elements were never in support.
The birds never helped me sing her a song.
The termites never went on a parade.
The moths never thought to look beautiful.
The sunrise was too soon and too bright.
She never sat still in my arms looking into my eyes as though she were searching for some lost treasure.
There was never the time to notice that my wife of ten years still smelt of crisp apple and vibrant poppy just like she did on the day she said those first words “Clumsy idiot” to me.
Or maybe I never noticed.

And then she did what she always did.
She heard it; the voice in my head.
She read it; the words my pupils heard. She always knew.
“Give it a title” she whispered.
“Huh?” “Give all of this a title”, she replied as her lips twitched with subtle amusement.
Just as I was about to reply, we heard a deafening honk.
As we both turned towards the window to see what the intrusion was, we saw a large van.
On it was a huge picture of a little girl smiling heartily as she ate every Nigerian child’s dream cereal “Golden Morn”.
“That’s it” I laughed. “’Golden Morn’. This is the perfect golden morning”

She let out a husky laugh. “Is that ridiculous or what!”
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I apologize for not being here. I've been really busy, but I promise it's gonna get better. I cannot possibly turn my back on you guys. Yes, my readers are that amazing!
P.S- I wrote this for my 'bowl of marshmallows'. At first, I thought this piece was somewhat ridiculous but he said it isn't. Plus, nothing's really too ridiculous to be said. [Let's not even start analyzing that statement]
P.S.S- Don't leave this page without dropping a comment. I always wanna know what you have to say. 
Have a wonderful weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment